Friday, July 20, 2012

Stop the World

As if I can't say it enough, life has become insane!

I've literally worked almost every day I've been in town since the beginning of June-I'm beginning to think I'll never get the smell of BBQ out of my clothes.

But I am finding a little more free time. I got about 4,000 words into my book that started as a NaNoWriMo (that's National Novel Writing Month for you non-nerds) project a while back when I hit an inspirational spike last night while closing up at work. Yay for having mind numbing tasks where you can think about other things!

In short, the book is about a school for girls with special powers (yes, similar to X-Men), which has to make some serious changes when their all male brother school burns down and they have to house the boys for a year.

I always picture the clique from the early seasons of Gossip Girl when I'm working on it.

It's been a pet project since I was 12, originally a short story, but it's since expanded to this crazyness that's barely 3 chapters in and over 12,000 words long.

I'm also trying to find a way to start getting really into my summer school classes. With the way my schedule worked for this upcoming year (Seniors '13, woot woot!), I'll be at our local Technology Center all day, rather than my home campus, so I'm trying to find a way to fit in all the classes I still need before graduation. At the moment, I'm in the middle of a ridiculously hard online PE class (my Travel Tourism class counted for one semester, now I'm just trying to get the second semester done without getting gross in public) and have yet to start my online French II course, both provided by Texas Tech ISD-two things I never thought I'd see together; my name with any Texas school.

I did recently stumble across an adorable site/blog called College Prep, and it's not what you might necessarily think. It's actually this really cute blog run by a college girl named Carly who seems to be as pearl obsessed as I am! I love finding people who manage to be awesomely smart and stylish at the same time. I'm adoring her use of Lily Pulitzer sticky notes and Kate Spade agendas-if all my paychecks weren't already being allocated towards DECA, I might invest in both!

Carly's super cute agenda. I have a similar one from Walmart in Tiffany Blue.

But alas, I'm sticking to being a high school recessionista. I will always love my designers, but for now it's Dollar Tree and Walgreens for me as far as school supplies go.

I'm also managing to catch up on my TV shows while cleaning. I'm on Season 5 of Eureka, Season 2 of Game of Thrones, and Season 5 of Mad Men. I'm still trying to catch up on Degrassi, but I can't get myself to sit down and actually watch. I know, a former Degrassi Die Hard, saying she can't watch Degrassi. I'm just having issues loving any of the plotlines in the later bits of this last season-Dave kind of annoys me, Clare/Eli have gone a bit stale, and Fiona needs to go back to curly hair!

That's all for now, I think. I'll probably do another post tonight about my recent Leadership Retreat with the officers of Texas DECA, but for now, I've gotta go get ready for another rousing night of serving BBQ to crying children and elderly couples.

Toodles,

Holly


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...